Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Finally Getting a Little Messy...

     Had the house to myself again last night. Grabbed a Red Bull and dove right into the crafts. After spending a good amount of time on Pintrest yesterday, I was so ready to get a little messy.
     I bounced back and forth last night between a few different projects. These are *definitely* rough drafts and I still have a lot of work to do on them (mainly trimming and cleaning them up"), but I was so excited about finally getting work done, that I had to share!
   Christmas Twine Tree
Materials:
- Twine/yard/fabric
- fabric adhesive
- chipboard/cardboard

 *** WARNING - This is definitely a sticky project. I don't recommend starting this if you have children awake, dinner in the oven, or any other possibility of an interruption. This glue is ridiculously sticky and takes FOREVER to wash off, lol.***

Step 1: Cut Your Template 
Take a piece of chipboard or cardboard and a triangular shape. Apply adhesive to a few inches on both side of the top of the tree. I wanted this to look kind of rustic and vintage, so I cut this free hand so it wouldn't look "perfect".



Step 2: Wrap Your Tree:
This is where it really starts to get messy!!! After applying the fabric adhesive to the top of the tree, I started to wrap the twine at the top of the triangle. (Make sure to hold the first piece that you are adhering down for a minute or two to insure that it sticks and doesn't pull away from the chipboard.)                                                                 I wanted to make sure that the it had a clean top just in case I decide not to put anything at the top of the tree. (It still didn't turn out 100% how I wanted it to, but like I said, this was definitely a "rough draft".

Step 3: Wrapping, Wrapping, Wrapping
       I liked working with 1 long piece of twine rather than cutting it into smaller pieces. It's a little harder to work with, but working with one long piece gives it a more clean and seamless look. Make sure you cover the chip board with a good amount of fabric adheseive so that the twine will adhere properly.
       Continue to wrap the twine around the tree, pulling it tight  to make sure the integrity of the shape of the tree holds up. Once you reach the bottom of the tree, add a little extra adhesive and hold the last piece in place for a minute or two to make sure it doesn't pull away.

 Step 4: Finishing Touches
Once you have finished wrapping the tree, let it dry for about 20 minutes or so. Then it is time to decorate! I am a little addicted to the look of the twine, so I didn't want to take away too much from the actual tree. To make the decorations, I rolled the twine into various sized circles. I kept this simple by adding a bow to the bottom.



No comments:

Post a Comment